Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Memory Lane: Halloween 2006

This year, Kivi asked to be a queen. We picked a pattern this time: Simplicity 5520. I made the view on the lower right.


This was the first time I'd ever actually followed a pattern on my own (the wrap skirt I made in 7th grade Home Ec doesn't count).

Have you ever actually LOOKED at a pattern envelope and instructions??? They are totally written for someone who actually knows how to sew. It was really, really hard, and I had to read each instruction like 200 times, and wrestle with my mother's 30+ year old Singer Athena 2000 which fritzed out on me (again!). Got it fixed and kept plugging away, and after lots and lots of calls to my mother, I wound up with this:


Not too bad for a beginner! And that see-through sleeve fabric was a PITA to work with. Never again. I did manage to add a set of inner sleeves to keep Kivi warm. I made tubes and sewed them in. Wrong shape, but you can't see the flaws, as they are hidden under the real sleeves. They worked, so can't complain. Got the garland at the RenFest that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment