Thursday, October 21, 2010
Repairing a parasol (AKA Halloween prop)
Kivi bought a parasol with her own money at the Minnesota State Fair this year, and not long after she brought it home, she and a friend were playing with it ... and alas something happened.
An accident and the cheap umbrella was missing some lacing that held it together, and one spar was split. I repaired the spar with clear tape (you can see it at about the 2:00 position), and then threaded a small tapestry needle and tied some rayon thread (the thinner thread in the upper right) and re-laced it. I also replaced the green thread circling the crown (it's kind of tan in the picture) with tan upholstery thread.
So now, it's ready for Halloween and her Geisha costume.